Monday 8 August 2016

Ways To Relieve Stress

Stress can have a detrimental effect on our health, and can be responsible for or contribute to the worsening of multiple health conditions. Therefore, it's important to try and keep your stress levels as low as you can. Sometimes it can be difficult to do this, as high stress situations are sometimes unavoidable (e.g. important exams, which pretty much always cause a lot of stress), and in these cases it helps to have something that relieves some of this stress and presents you with an opportunity to properly relax and unwind for a bit. I've decided to make a list of things that help with stress (some of these are things that help me, but I haven't tried all of these) in the hopes of inspiring people and perhaps providing them with some ideas (though I'm sure there are hundreds of posts like this out there). I'm also hoping this post will provide me with some ideas for myself (seeing as I'm basically permanently stressed).

  • Pamper yourself- I suppose the definition of pampering yourself would vary from person to person, but it could be anything from running yourself a hot bath filled with bubbles and putting on a face mask and some relaxing music, lighting candles and pouring yourself a large glass of wine to just painting your nails or changing you bed sheets. I have to say, it's not one I've indulged in much personally.
  • Indulge in a spot of binge watching. Netflix is particularly good for this
  • Eat/drink something that you really enjoy, they're called treats for a reason
  • Bake or cook something- I've found that cooking can actually be quite good for easing stress (though it can also get stressful at times, it really depends on your mindset on the day)
  • Make a playlist of songs you enjoy or that make you happy or have good memories attached
  • Read a book you really enjoy. This could be something new or a book you've read a dozen times.
  • Actually, read anything- a magazine, a blog, some online articles
  • Sit outside, particularly on a sunny day
  • Try an adult colouring book
  • Try some yoga, or perhaps meditation
  • Exercise, but make sure that it is exercise that you enjoy and will make you feel good. I have to say, I haven't always found exercise effective (at least not in the way people make it out to be)
  • Invest in a lava lamp, it's pretty soothing to watch the wax float around, plus it gives your room a cosy glow
  • Make a blanket fort
  • Hang fairy lights
  • Get straight into your comfiest pyjamas
  • Light some scented candles
  • Go for a walk, especially in a calm soothing area where there's lots of nice scenery (if you're lucky enough to live close enough to anywhere like this)
  • Go for a drive
  • Pop bubble wrap
  • Window shop
  • Prepare a picnic and sit a nice park or scenic area
  • Spend time with a pet
Here's a picture of my lava lamp and fairy lights to soothe and (hopefully) inspire you.

I've tried to come up with as many ideas as I can, though I'm sure there are many more! I might make another post (or posts) like this if I think of a few more ideas, I like the idea of having a bunch of posts with a ton of ideas on stress relief. 

No comments:

Post a Comment